Advanced instructor Training
CSIA Level 3 & 4 Boot Camps
The CSIA Level 3 is Canada’s internationally recognized instructor certification, and there’s no doubt about it, the exams are difficult. They’re notorious for their low pass rate.
Then there’s the Level 4, Canada’s elite level certification, where the skiing and teaching demands become exponentially more challenging.
If you’re and advanced to expert level skier, and Level 3 or 4 certification is your goal, we offer a great opportunity to receive intensive training and mentoring from seasoned CSIA Course Conductors.
No one can promise you will be successful on the first attempt or even the eleventh, but if you come prepared for some hard work, and a little fun, we will do everything in our power to give you the best possible shot.
Expect to push your envelope!
Prepare to have a good time!
Based at Mount Washington Alpine Resort on Vancouver Island, just off Canada's west coast, our instructor training programs attract those looking to get off the beaten path.
The rugged mountain terrain on Vancouver Island serves some of Canada's best kept snow secrets, often home to the deepest snowpack on the continent. Combine this with pristine temperate rainforests, views of the ocean, and down to earth locals for a unique snow sliding experience you won’t find anywhere else.
The Pathway to Elite Level
These camps are designed to expand on what you’ve learned during the CSIA course modules, develop expert level skiing skills and help you prepare for the Level 3 Exams or Level 4 Academy Selection Camp.
Boot Camp #1
- We’ll go on an exploratory journey to understand cause and effect. We’ll experiment with the different ways our skis interact with the snow and how our body works to make those interactions happen. We’ll diagnose any technical deficiencies and develop a personalized training plan for ongoing skill development.
- Towards the second half of the camp we’ll start to refine skills through decision training... pushing your skills and tactical choices for different objectives in increasingly challenging terrain and conditions.
Boot Camp #2
- We’ll divide students based on skiing or teaching needs. We’ll blend all mountain ski improvement with a pedagogical approach to teacher development. We’ll start to assess each others skiing skills while ensuring everybody understands the CSIA development system.
- In this final preparation week we’ll focus on crucial areas needed for each student to achieve their highest level of success, whether that is skiing or teacher training. For some that will mean supervised practice teaching sessions in exam like scenarios. For others it may mean ongoing skill development for specific ski off maneuvers.
The Course Details
- Camp Dates
- Camp Prices
- Getting Here
2022 - CSIA Level 3/4 Boot Camp Dates:
Boot Camp #1
- February 13th - 16th, 2023
Boot Camp #2 (Cancelled)
- March 20th - 23rd, 2023
2023 Prices & Inclusions
Level 3/4 Boot Camp Series:
Includes: 4 days of on snow training from CSIA Course Conductors, plus follow up video analysis sessions and remote coaching via the OnForm App to ensure you’re training stays on track.
- Camp 1: $800 CAD
- Camp 2: $800 CAD
- Both Camps: $1,400 CAD
Note* Please note that all prices are in Canadian dollars and are inclusive of coaching only. A non refundable deposit of $150 CAD (per camp) will be required to confirm your space. The final balance is due 60 days prior to the camp start date. We highly recommend the purchase of trip cancellation insurance.
Lift tickets, travel, accommodation and equipment are an additional cost. Packages can be purchased through our travel partner Canadian Ski Vacations
Science Friction Club members save.
Login to SkierLab and check out your member benefits
Ski or Snowboard Certification & Ability Requirements
- Participants must be able to ski comfortably in advanced black diamond terrain, in a variety of snow conditions.
- No certification is required to participate in the training boot camps, however, CSIA level 2 certification (or equivalent) is a prerequisite for any CSIA level 3 modules and CSIA level 3 certification is required for any level 4 training modules. Both the CSIA Skier Development Module and Teacher Development Modules are prerequisites for the CSIA Level 3 Exams.
Students should have a good level of physical fitness.
A learning attitude and high level of maturity
Valid Medical Insurance with winter sport coverage
Mount Washington, Vancouver Island
If you are arriving from overseas, many major airlines have direct flights from all over the world to Vancouver, British Columbia. From the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) there are several flights daily to the Comox Valley Airport (YQQ). From here it is approximately a 40 minute drive to the resort.
Alternatively, you can hop on BC Ferries regular service between Vancouver and Nanaimo (Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay Terminals). Driving time from Nanaimo is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Ski in ski out accommodation and lift packages are available in resort, or for those who prefer a little more city life, accommodations in the Comox Valley (Courtenay, Comox or Cumberland) are a 30 minute drive from Mount Washington Resort.
Once you've completed the online booking form below, we'll get back to you by email as soon as possible with program details and an invoice for the initial deposit. Once the deposit has been received your space will be confirmed.